Requirements: grade 1-4
Duration: 2 days
Time: 9am to 5 pm
Venue: Clementi House – Notting Hill
This weekend course is designed for those who want to deepen their musical and saxophone knowledge in a short period.
You will tackle all the fundamentals of saxophone playing with particular attention to embouchure, sound, finger movement, notes, rhythm and reading.
The course consists of technique labs for sound and embouchure, reading, group playing and an informal performance for peers at the end of the course.
- tonguing exercises
- scales & arpeggios
- finger movement
- articulations (staccato and slurring)
- how to practice efficiently
- keeping a good and open sound throughout the range
- play in tempo
- using the metronome
- feel beat internally
- hold part in a group
- rhythm exercises in group
- Guest teacher: drummer and percussionist James Taylor
- embouchure – common issues and mistakes
- experimenting with sound
- breathing and anatomy of respiratory system
Daily saxophone ensemble
- rehearsal of an ensemble piece (parts will be sent a week prior to the start of the course)
- performance of the piece at the end of the course
What to bring
- A mind ready to learn and improve saxophone skills with proven teaching methods and to have fun!
- Saxophone and reeds
- Manuscript paper
- Music stand
- Audio recording device